Next Up, Fall

It seems like I ought to check in here before I realize it is Christmas again. The summer has been long and hot, here. School starts next week and it seems like the summer just evaporated. I do have to say, with being sick and having surgery in May/June, I feel like I was cheated out of part of my summer.

I have been knitting, of course. I am up to the armpits on my chore sweater body and most of the way through one sleeve. And I have some socks going as well. I'm hoping to have some to wear this winter.

A while back, I got some apricots and made some jam:



I made it without pectin. It was a bit worrisome because I've had a lot of issues making strawberry jam without pectin. The first batch I made last year has to be heated to be removed from the jar. Then I mix in a lot of hot water until it reaches a spreadable consistency. We keep it in the refrigerator. I made a batch this spring that came out nice and spreadable, but it had an odd taste and I ended up throwing it all out. Last summer I made some raspberry jam without pectin and it came out pretty well. With the batch of apricot jam, I am now at a 50% success rate. I have strawberries frozen for jam. I think I may just use pectin for it, though. Strawberries are the common denominator in my failures.

I am trying to be excited for fall. As the days go by, I am getting more ready for it. When I go past the woodpile, I smell the beautiful aroma of firewood.

Comments

Popular Posts