Knitting into Spring

My Ravello has had some hiccups. When I tried it on, it just seemed too big. When I took it off, I laid it out on my bed and measured it and measured myself. The Ravello is supposed to have 3 inches of ease, and mine was going to have 6 inches. TOO much. My chest is 38” and the sweater was 22” across, making it 44” all the way around. I checked my gauge and sure enough, it was off by about half a stitch per inch. That can add up to a lot of extra sweater. So I ripped the whole thing out and started over with the next size down. When I ripped it, there was 7” of sweater from the underarm down. Now I have around 4”. If I were making a sweater for working around home, I would have just kept on going. But this sweater is going to be for wearing in public at my other job and I try not to look like a slob there. Anyway, this is what it looks like today:



I want to finish it in time to do the Hapalong with the KnitBritish group on Ravelry. But I also want to finish the socks I have been making for a really long forever:


This pattern, Crescendo, is not hard but I have a hard time getting into it. I think that my reality with socks is that I prefer simple patterns. Plain socks or ribbed socks that just show off the color of the yarn really well. Lace patterns for the most part to excite me when I am knitting socks. Not to say I don't love the look, because I do. I have a pair of Monkey Socks on the needles from way back when the pattern first came out. I loved the look, but I couldn't get into knitting them. Someday I will want the yarn for something and rip the half a sock out. I'm a knitter who loves making socks but only has a couple pair to wear because I can't knit them fast enough. Unless they are stockinette or ribbed socks. I don't know what to do with these. Struggle through, or rip?

Spring has really, really arrived here. My husband is at the very moment I am writing this, mowing our yard for the second time this year. We don't generally mow our yard until mid-April. It is so weird to have so much warm weather. Hopefully it doesn't mean a long, hot, dry, fire-filled summer. Anyway, here is some treasure I found this morning:


Our chickens are now laying eggs nearly every day. After a long winter without eggs, it is fantastic. I can't stand to eat grocery store eggs. Tomorrow morning I am having scrambled eggs for breakfast!

Comments

Popular Posts