Halloween Decorating Day

I love this season. Except when it is unseasonably cold like it has been the last few days. It has felt like November. Saturday we had a high of 43 with a howling cold wind. I had to save our bird feeders from the wind it was blowing so hard. And they were full! Well, they were full when the wind started blowing. My bird feeders are pretty heavy when they are full.

Today is Halloween decorating. A couple years ago I decided that the day after the youngest birthday would be Halloween Decorating Day. One of my aunts gave me a Haunted House last year. It is going to be so cool with the Spooky Tree I have. Halloween is probably my favorite decorating holiday.

And I can’t BELIEVE my baby is 3. How is this possible? Children grow up so fast. Too fast. Probably her favorite thing was the birthday cake. Of course, there were handmade presents. It is so nice to be able to say I am done with the Patchwork Tortoise:



There was also this cute little thing:



To me, it looks sort of like an Alien. It is a free crochet pattern that I found on Ravelry. If anyone is interested, they are called Too Cute Dolls. Knitter #3 calls it Critter.

Last week the big freeze came. The garden is gone, so I don’t have that to worry about anymore. The end of the gardening season is always sad, but welcome. This year was better than the last few years, maybe even the best ever. I want more out of my garden, though. We are going to put in some raised beds for next year and see if we can improve things. I think I will clean up the garden this fall instead of waiting for spring. I always enjoy the sort of grotesque look of the garden with snow on the sagging, dead plants. To me, it looks gothic, like something from Mary Shelley. In a way, I look forward to the dark, cold days of November and December when we get fogged in and my feet stay cold for days. When they actually get here though, I don’t like it so much. This all reminds me I need to mend my wool socks…

Comments

Lone Knitter said…
I hope your little one had a good birthday. I'm kind of dreading the cold! This will be my first Chicago winter, and I hear that the winters here are awful.
Rima said…
That critter is a critter! You used very nice colors...

Popular Posts