Snow, Sweaters, and Gardening

It has warmed up a bit here. This morning it was 19 degrees instead of 3. And the sky is dumping snow on us like no tomorrow. Fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere today.

Over the weekend, I almost finished my sweater. I have about 2 rows left on the neck. In other words, I could be finished by noon if I don't get distracted by housework or the internet. When I got to the last color change for the neck, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with what the pattern suggested. In the end, I decided to go with the purple color and it looks fantastic. I am determined to get the underarms kitchenered together this afternoon and evening. Then I can wear my brand new warm sweater tomorrow.

The reason I didn't manage to finish the sweater yesterday was because I was tempted into looking at things on Etsy and Ravelry. What was I thinking?! There is so much cool stuff out there. If I want to get anything done, I should know better than to wander towards those places.

This morning I picked up a garden catalog that came in the mail the other day. I think I am going to keep it just for the good information it has in it. Besides the usual planting info, it has companion planting tips. And in the middle by the order form, it has all kinds of interesting information. There is a page of storage information; a chart with planting information such as depth, spacing, weight of seeds for a 100' row; a plants per acre chart; and best of all: a garden planning guide for how much to grow for a family of 6. For someone who wants to grow as much of their own food as they can, that little chart is wonderful. The company is called Irish Eyes Garden Seeds. I have not visited their website yet. They might have all that stuff there, too.

I have sworn myself to having a good garden this year. The past few years, the male person in the house has refused to till the garden for me. Last year in January he was all on about planting the garden. When the time came and I had plants in hand, he flat out refused to do anything to be helpful. Since then, a friend of mine offered to swap labor with me if he becomes difficult again. Probably better than threatening him with a sharpened carrot. I am hopeful that he will want to help out. The more we grow, the less we have to buy. And the kids are old enough to labor in the garden, too. I intend to let them pick a few things to grow and help take care of. I loved having my own row of radishes when I was a kid.

What is it about snow that makes you want to garden?

Comments

Popular Posts